10 Times Michael Scott Summed Up Being An Author

Sometimes people have the wrong idea about what it means to be an author. They paint up fantasies of sitting back and watching millions of dollars roll in while texting inside jokes to our favorite authors.

Thankfully though, Michael Scott, our fearless leader from the NBC hit show The Office, is not just the Worlds Best Boss, he’s also super understanding about what it means to be an author.

Here are 10 times Michael Scott perfectly summed up what it means to be an author.

1. So ready to start, but then staring at that infamous blank page

anigif_sub-buzz-21795-1469216908-2.gif

Sometimes, it isn’t until after you sit down to start writing that you realize you have no idea how to formulate a complete sentence. Suddenly, you’re sitting there asking yourself if there really is a difference between its and it’s, and, what’s that rule again of e coming before i?

Don’t worry. Michael Scott knows just how you feel.

2. Well, they say research is key…

FewYellowHammerheadshark-small

Whoever is using anything other than Wikipedia as their only source of research is clearly doing it wrong. If anyone can add anything to a particular page, it has to be right. Right?

3. Don’t stop me now

tumblr_o1j1fqAAcj1rm62hfo1_500.gif

Once those gears finally click into place, nothing can slow you down. With a blink of an eye, you’ve already written two chapters. Wait, make that three!

4. When you share your plot with someone else and they say, “Oh! It sounds just like [insert name of any other creative piece in the same genre].”

michael-scott-office-quote

Just like with Michael Scott, sometimes someone else beats you to that super creative and unique idea you came up with. Don’t let that deter you. Keep at it and make it your own!

But also, don’t listen to them. They don’t know what they’re talking about.

5.  Alright, we’re really doing it now

source.gif

After your schedule opens up from blocking all your haters, you finally have time to sit down and finish writing that manuscript. Sometimes you’ll have the perfect sentence planned out and it sounds great. But that only happens about 5% of the time. The other 95% of the time is spent praying that the sentence you started somehow will make sense.

6. Re-reading

PinkBraveCobra-size_restricted.gif

No words are even needed.

7. Realizing you’ll never make it

giphy.gif

There is quite possibly nothing worse than sitting back in your desk chair— or whatever sitting apparatus you use when you write— and thinking you’ll never make it as an author. Looking back at all the countless hours you spent writing and editing, not to mention the costs you may have spent on services so far, it can make you just want to throw in the towel and live nomadically for the rest of your life. Honestly though, what’s the worst thing that could happen by declaring bankruptcy?

Personally, I’m still trying to get over this one myself.

8. But then you think about your fans

191dae9d99caecf3a6f67ced66064e79388e641ba745045e7be2f25612c93aa9.jpg

They say, even I’ve said, not to write for your audience. However, it is nice to think about all the people who’ll one day be lining up in dozens, if not hundreds, to buy your book. Because there’s no way people will hate what you wrote. You know it, and they all know it.

They also know to praise you and your book until the end of time, right?

9. When it’s all said and done

x8HP4lf.gif

Nothing beats the feeling of either finishing your manuscript or holding the author copies in your hands. It’s this simultaneous sinking and floating feeling of joy and fear. Will the fans I’ve made up in my head actually read it and praise me like I need? What if everyone hates it? Or worse, what if no one even reads it!?

At the same time, you can see your physical accomplishments there in your hands. Letting that terrifying joy sink in is probably my favorite part of being an author so far.

10. Staring Success in the eyes

thought-it-would-either-be-an-a-or-an-a-plus-21967365

As you watch friends and family share your book with more and more people, you sit back and ask, “How could I have ever doubted myself?”

 

No matter what obstacles and successes you face as an author, always remember Michael Scott’s most inspirational quote:

6745f59b.jpg.505x650_q85.jpg

If you never try and write, you’ll never succeed.

What quotes from Michael Scott do you think perfectly sum up what it means to be an author?

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s